Saturday, October 31, 2009

Friendships

So I was reading the blog from my daughter's preschool and on it there was a posting about a wedding the director had just gone to this past summer. The bride and the bridesmaid had met in the director's preschool class back when they were three. Now as I watch my own daughter form friendships in her preschool and Sunday School class...especially with two little girls in particular, I wonder to myself, will this be the same? Will these little girls be the ones my daughter grows up with- the ones she plays dolls with, has sleepovers with, acts silly with, gets in fights with, shares her deepest secrets and sorrows and happiness with...the one she remembers when she thinks back to her own childhood?

It's funny how friendships are what you remember when you think back. Whenever I think of my childhood I can't separate it from the one I spent it with- my cousin. Almost all of my favorite memories are with her in it.

Isn't it so beautiful (and nostalgic) to watch our children make those friendships?  I just love watching her when we get to school every morning or to church, as she spots her best friend, gets a big smile on her face, then yells out her name as she tries getting her coat off as fast as she can so she can go run to her and give her a hug. I love hearing her talk about being with her. And how together they aren't as sad to be without their moms as they would be otherwise.

And it is so unexpected, at least to me, having never had a child who has gone through this stage of making friends before.  What also is unexpected is that I am making new friends too. I used to be the one introducing her to life and now she is starting to introduce me.  Her new friendships are allowing me an opportunity to form new friendships too with the moms, women I otherwise would most likely never have met or known.

Beautiful, that's all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment