Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Promise

The other day my three year old daughter was embarrassed about something and told me to promise that I wouldn't tell the friends we were on a playdate with. I really wanted to tell to, because it was funny and my friend would totally understand and we'd get a good laugh. But I had to catch myself because I realized that now, even at the age of three, is when I have to start keeping my promises.

Because now, at the age of three, I am being watched.

I am being looked at to keep a promise.

And if I don't keep it and tell what I promised not to, what is that showing her...about me, about her...

What am I gaining by telling? What am I losing?

It seems so harmless but when you think about it, there really is so much at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment